Record Types help you to configure different business processes, page layouts, and picklist values for any object. Creating custom Record Types is a great way to customize Rethink to accurately represent your processes and workflows. By adding various Record Types, we can introduce a greater variety of choices for your layouts. For instance, if you help tenants rent locations for restaurants and hotel chains, it would be useful to create a "Hospitality" record type within the Property object.
Although custom Record Types can be created in any object, this help article demonstrates how to create one for Properties. The Record Types that are available out-of-the-box for Properties include: Office, Industrial, Land, Multifamily, Portfolio, and Retail.
1. Go to Setup
2. Click on Object Manager
3. Select the desired object. In this example, we'll choose Property
Note: before proceeding with the steps below, click on Page Layouts to the left and create a new page layout for your new Record Type, if desired. Otherwise, if you skip this instruction, you will need to assign the new Record Type to an existing page layout.
4. Go to Record Types on the left, then click New
5. Enter the desired Record Type name in Record Type Label. In this example, we'll create a new Record Type called 'Miscellaneous'.
6. Choose an existing Record Type under Existing Record Type to create a clone of it or create a new one from scratch by selecting Master.
7. Check Active, then select the user profiles you want the new Record Type to be available to. Click Next when done.
8. Choose a page layout for the new Record Type, then click Save.
9. Next, go to Page Layouts on the left and click on the page layout you chose in the previous step.
10. Here is where you'll add the fields you want to include in the Record Type. Simply drag and drop the fields onto the sections below, then click Save.
If you want to create a new Page Layout instead, simply click the New button and create one. Be sure to then go back to Record Types, click the Page Layout Assignment button, then re-assign the new Page Layout to the Record Type.
11. To ensure the new Record Type is available to your users, go to Setup > Profiles
12. Select a user profile, scroll down to Custom Record Type Settings, then select Edit next to the object in question.
13. Move the new Record Type to the Selected Record Types box, then click Save. You will need to repeat these steps for any other profiles needing access to the new Record Type.
14. Lastly, test it out! Your new Record Type will be available for selection.
Please reach out to Product Support (email@example.com) if you have any questions about creating new record types.