If you mistakenly imported the wrong data or simply want to start anew with your data import, then in this article you will learn how to mass delete those records. As the System Administrator, you have two options to mass delete, which is dependent on the type of records you need to remove:
|Company||Mass Delete Records|
|Contact||Mass Delete Records|
|Activities||Mass Delete Records|
|Reports||Mass Delete Records|
Mass Delete Records
Mass Delete Records is a native feature in Setup that allows you to easily mass delete records at once.
Recommendations: If you imported Contacts and Companies and need to delete both, then it's recommended to delete Companies first. This will also delete all contacts associated with those companies.
Limitations: Undoing an import with Mass Delete is based on the creation time of the new records and the alias of the user who conducted the import. Due to this, Mass Delete may also find records that were manually created by that same user during the same time period. You can mass delete 250 records at a time. For larger imports you will need to run multiple batches.
1. Go to Setup > search for Mass Delete in the Quick Find box > select Mass Delete Records
2. Select your record of choice. In Rethink you will only focus on Accounts (which is Companies), Activities, Contacts, and Reports as your primary options to delete. For Company/Contact imports, remember to mass delete Accounts first).
3. Once your record of choice is selected, please review
Step 1: Review what will happen when you mass delete your [...]
Step 2: Recommendation prior to mass deleting
4. Step 3 will allow you to create filters around the type of data you want to delete. This step is optional if you simply want to delete all. If you do, or do not, create your criteria, you will need to click Search afterwards:
5. You can disregard Step 4 and Step 5 that follows on your page, as Rethink does not use Opportunities.
6. Once you scroll down the page you will see the records you imported. Selecting the Permanently delete [...] checkbox is optional. If you want to delete all of your records, and still reference them in your Recycle Bin at a later time, then you do not need to select the checkbox.
7. At this point, if you are ready to delete the records, you can check the Select All box at the top of your list and proceed by clicking the Delete button:
Now that we understand how to mass delete records for Companies, Contacts, Activities, and Reports, then let's move onto how we can delete other records using Data Loader.
If you have not installed Data Loader before, then please review this article first. Once installed, you will need to access Data Loader from your computer. Performing a mass deletion with Data Loader successfully will require 3 easy steps:
1. Export your data
Log in with your credentials > once you see "Login successful" you will select Next > at this point you will see a list of Objects - this refers to the records you want to delete. In this example, we are wanting to delete all Properties in the database that we mistakenly imported:
Next, we will choose ID and Name > select Finish
2. Review your exported data
Review at the file you just exported > remove any items that you don’t want to delete using Name column. After you have all items you want to delete, delete Name column > Save your CSV file.
Access Data Loader again, but this time we will select Delete > log in (if directed to do so) > select from the list of objects (in this example we are selecting Properties) > upload your CSV file you saved moments ago > click Next > select Create or Edit a Map > select Auto-Match Fields to Columns in the popup window.
Finally, click OK > Next > Finish. Review the Output file if any errors exist.
Please reach out to Product Support (email@example.com) if you have any questions about mass deleting records.